Security sources: Freed Egyptian prisoners behind Sinai attack

People travel near the checkpoint where a deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers took place in Rafah August 6, 2012. (Reuters/Stringer)

El-ARISH, Egypt (Ma'an) -- Egyptian security officials told Ma'an on Saturday that several of those involved in an attack on a border post with Israel earlier this month are Jihadis who had been recently released from prison by the Egyptian president.

The sources also said forensic authorities have determined the identities of some of the seven assailants who were killed by the Israeli army during the assault on Aug. 5 -- and can confirm that at least three of them are Egyptians.

Two are from Rafah and Sheikh Zuwaid in the Sinai peninsula, and the third -- who had recently been released -- is from Mersa Matruh in northern Egypt, they said....

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.