- 4-6 green peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, grated
- 3 Tbsp uncooked rice
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 20 oz can tomatoes (chopped if possible)
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp sugar
1. Cut a circle in the top of each pepper and pull out the seeds. Rinse and set aside. Save the top of the pepper.
2. In a bowl mix together the meat, grated onion, rice, egg, 1-2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
3. Stuff peppers with this mixture. Place stuffed peppers in a roasting pan.
4. In a saucepan, brown the chopped onion in the oil. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Pour sauce over the peppers making sure that some of the sauce stays on top of the peppers. Place pepper tops back on top of the peppers.
6. Cover and bake 1 hour basting once or twice.
* Tastes even better when reheated.